Friday, July 15, 2011

Ministry and Art

Well, I'm really getting settled in here. I got a job at Applebee's yesterday and I am reviewing the menu. Its raining here and is has been dark all day. I was trying to pass the time by doing some stuff on the computer and then I felt like it was getting close to dinner and possibly bed time. Its so dark and at noon today it lookes like it was 7 or 8. But then I looked at my computer clock and saw it was only 3 in the afternoon. Wow. I seriously could probably sleep right now, but then I'd be up at like 10.

So, I'm writing another blog.

I'm really starting to get into this Ministry and Art stuff. The more I work on it, the more I realize that we have a need for it in the Church today. Just to fill you in, I made a portfolio website that you can see here. Its nothing special yet, but I decided, when I was naming it, that I wanted to use two words that meant alot to me: "Ministry" and "artistry." And as the months went on since I launched it, those two concepts began to merge in my mind and I think I've come across some valuable theories in terms of Ministry, specifically Outreach.

I've written two papers that I plan to make available on my website. I may even post some excerpts here, if you are good. One of them is called: Get "plugged-In" to the 21st Century Church. The other is called: Six Myths to Personal Outreach.

In these papers I have worked out some ideas that I have had in my mind for years, but was never able to find time to write them down. And in writing them I figured out quite a bit about my own personal style of ministry work that I hope to implement into my future.

But Ministry and Art go hand in hand when it comes to reaching out to the generations of today and the so-called "Generation Alpha" of tomorrow. Generation Alpha are those born from 2010 to ~2025. If cycles are really followed from one generation to the next then they are likely to be highly artistic and materialistic. They will be very smart thinkers and possibly revolutionists similar to those seen during the Renaissance. The future of the church will need to adapt to this new ideology. The best way is to make the church technologically advanced and highly artistic in the use of motion graphics and video.

To me, this makes perfect sense. Generation Z (1986-1999) grew up completely with wireless communications and computers. Most of us had a personal computer in the house and our own cell phone at some point of our minor years. We understand how they work and how to use them to communicate with the world. The church of tomorrow will need to be able to do this as well. My website's goal is to help ease that transition and inform how to make these changes to those otherwise inexperienced in this new time of Computer-Age Christianity.

It is interesting how much room we have to grow. We need to keep up with the changes of the world if we are to remain relevent to the souls of today. Personally, I cannot wait to get started. That's why I'm starting here. With a website.

No comments:

Post a Comment